For me the New Year is a good excuse for a fresh start; it is like the Monday of the year. It’s not like after 12:00 pm of New Years Eve you are a different person, but you can be if that is what you want to. As I said in my last Monday Lists post, this year is all about new things for me. What is it going to be for you?
A dear friend of mine told me in our last telephone call «I want to change but I don’t know how or where to start?». So this post is for him and for all of you who would like to know where to start.
1) Get healthy. Feeling healthy is an amazing feeling. I stopped smoking a long time ago and I am feeling great. This is the time of the year where you should focus on starting the year healthy. This is the only body you will ever get so pay attention to its needs and take good care of it. Start taking a walk or take that new class you have been waiting to try. Make time for your physical health.
2) Your mind needs some care too. We often forget that our mind gets tired too. Find something you love doing. There is no greater feeling than finding your element and enjoying what you are doing.
3) Spring clean your social circle. Sometimes we forget that who surrounds us makes a difference in our behaviour. So this year spring clean those people who don’t bring joy to your life. You don’t need bad weeds around you and certainly you don’t need «friends» who criticize and bring bad vibes around you. Don’t be sorry to do it, you’ll thank yourself later.
4) Give love back. We love but sometimes we forget to say it. Let others know you appreciate they are there. Let them know you love them today because good chances are you don’t know if they’ll be there tomorrow.
5) Above all things love yourself more. All the above is about loving… you. I am always emphasizing in loving who you are and loving every bit and tiny part of yourself. For so long I mistreated my body and my mind that unconsciously I let others mistreat me too, never giving myself the chance to see and appreciate my true value. Every single one of you is unique and that is absolutely awesome.
I normally wait for the new year with a bubbly enthusiasm because it means a fresh start and time for changes. But this year it has been different. I feel like I have accomplished so much this 2014 that I will feel a little nostalgic about it ending. When I started this blog almost a year ago, I had no idea I would take it so seriously and that it would mean so much to me. It started like a small escape from reality, like a vessel to another dimension and it became my little personal space to share and post and connect with you guys.
You have seen all of my 2014 and all the beautiful changes that came with it. I feel like I have been accompanied through the whole year even though I can’t see you. Thank you so much for all your support. Thank you for your kind comments and your suggestions. Thank you for making me smile and for letting me know that there is someone (other than my lovely sister) who reads my blog.
I can’t wait to continue sharing and knowing you guys a little better.
Thank you, thank you, thank you.
May this 2015 bring joy to your life. May it bring happiness and tons of smiles. I wish that I could meet each and every one of you and let you know how thankful I am that you take the time to read what I post. I hope with all my heart this new year will brighten every day and make you realize how special each and every one of you is.
Happy 2015! ❤
This post was inspired by a fragment of last week’s post «Emotions». I wrote about how the word «Thank you» is as powerful as «I love you».
I believe that being grateful can change your whole world. Sometimes you don’t mean it when you say it, maybe other times is just a natural reaction to an act of kindness, but what’s really important is to feel it.
A couple of years ago I used to complain about everything. I use to wake up in a bad mood, brush my teeth, take a shower and while I did those things I was complaining. I complained about my past and some terrible things I went through. Then my day would go on and this constant emotional baggage would accompany me until I went to sleep at night. I cried, I complained a little more, eventually I slept.
I am not going to sit here and tell you all about my magic transformation and the tragedy that inspired it because I’ll be lying. I am going to tell you how now, before complaining about anything, I think about something I am grateful for. It changes my whole perspective of the situation.
It makes me a happier person to count my blessing than to count all the things that make me unhappy. There is always something to be grateful for. Always.
So today I would also like to thank YOU. For reading this, whoever you are, wherever you are in the world, whatever you believe in.
There is nothing that makes me feel more alive than singing. It is my way of coping with all kind of emotions.
Every time I find the melody of what I am feeling I write it down and turn it into a song. Sometimes it gets so personal that I record it just for myself. You see, when I sing I have no armor, only raw emotions from deep inside. Depending on my mood I could write a happy song, a dance song, a mellow song or just let it go and write something that helps me get through things that hurt.
All of us have a way to process emotions, all of us feel overwhelmed sometimes and it is ok so crumble a little. Letting go is what makes us stronger. How we react to a given situation makes us so unique. There is always something that makes us feel more alive than ever.
I want to dedicate today’s post to letting go of unhealthy emotions, unhealthy relationships, self-pity, grudges, bad memories and anything that makes you unhappy. Give thanks for everything you have instead of complaining for everything you are missing. «Thank you» is as powerful as «I love you», because behind those two there is always kindness…