For me the New Year is a good excuse for a fresh start; it is like the Monday of the year. It’s not like after 12:00 pm of New Years Eve you are a different person, but you can be if that is what you want to. As I said in my last Monday Lists post, this year is all about new things for me. What is it going to be for you?
A dear friend of mine told me in our last telephone call “I want to change but I don’t know how or where to start?”. So this post is for him and for all of you who would like to know where to start.
1) Get healthy. Feeling healthy is an amazing feeling. I stopped smoking a long time ago and I am feeling great. This is the time of the year where you should focus on starting the year healthy. This is the only body you will ever get so pay attention to its needs and take good care of it. Start taking a walk or take that new class you have been waiting to try. Make time for your physical health.
2) Your mind needs some care too. We often forget that our mind gets tired too. Find something you love doing. There is no greater feeling than finding your element and enjoying what you are doing.
3) Spring clean your social circle. Sometimes we forget that who surrounds us makes a difference in our behaviour. So this year spring clean those people who don’t bring joy to your life. You don’t need bad weeds around you and certainly you don’t need “friends” who criticize and bring bad vibes around you. Don’t be sorry to do it, you’ll thank yourself later.
4) Give love back. We love but sometimes we forget to say it. Let others know you appreciate they are there. Let them know you love them today because good chances are you don’t know if they’ll be there tomorrow.
5) Above all things love yourself more. All the above is about loving… you. I am always emphasizing in loving who you are and loving every bit and tiny part of yourself. For so long I mistreated my body and my mind that unconsciously I let others mistreat me too, never giving myself the chance to see and appreciate my true value. Every single one of you is unique and that is absolutely awesome.
This is my sweet Yiayia (grandmother in Greek).
She passed away last week and I still can’t believe she is gone.
I have a big hole in my heart right now but somehow feel a deep peace inside me. The last time I spoke to her I told her “Yiayia, my song is in the top 19, I don’t know if I am going through to the top 6 in Zürich” she breathed through the phone and said to me in her sweetest voice “Agapi mou, you are definetly going to the top 6. Your song is beautiful and talks about love and love always wins“. And it did.
She passed away a day before me going to the Zürich live auditions. I wished she could have seen it on TV. I wish I could have told her that she was right. I wish she would have heard the happiness in my voice. Something inside my heart tells me that she did.
I love you Yiayiaka. I will always love you. You taught me to be kind, to always be nice to people, to think, to be gentle, to be loving and to always remember to give love.
Thank you for being part of me, thank you for bringing sunlight and love to my life.
I am used to be the one who says I love you first.
I am the one who lets you know that I appreciate you. People always tell me I should not be like this because eventually others will take advantage of me (eventually they do).
Have you been backstabbed and lied to? Have you been mocked and been hurt? Do you feel like you should stop being so kind and loveable? Don’t. Please just don’t. If you do, you let them win.
Life is too short and too precious for holding back love. I think we get to spend so little time in this earth and with the people we love that is a waste of time to “hold back”.
Hold your loved ones hand. Take a good look at the people you love because believe me, they will not be there forever. Call someone, don’t just text. Be brave enough to compliment people when you see them instead of just leaving a “like” on their Facebook.
Don’t forget to let your parents, grandparents and family know how much you appreciate them and how thankful you are for the things they have done for you: remember that as you grow older so do they.
There is nothing that makes me feel more alive than singing. It is my way of coping with all kind of emotions.
Every time I find the melody of what I am feeling I write it down and turn it into a song. Sometimes it gets so personal that I record it just for myself. You see, when I sing I have no armor, only raw emotions from deep inside. Depending on my mood I could write a happy song, a dance song, a mellow song or just let it go and write something that helps me get through things that hurt.
All of us have a way to process emotions, all of us feel overwhelmed sometimes and it is ok so crumble a little. Letting go is what makes us stronger. How we react to a given situation makes us so unique. There is always something that makes us feel more alive than ever.
I want to dedicate today’s post to letting go of unhealthy emotions, unhealthy relationships, self-pity, grudges, bad memories and anything that makes you unhappy. Give thanks for everything you have instead of complaining for everything you are missing. “Thank you” is as powerful as “I love you”, because behind those two there is always kindness…