Let’s talk about eggs. Eggs are a fantastic source of protein and they keep me full all morning. I used to have only the egg whites but after a long debate with my doctor, now I eat the whole egg. Just one a day, not more because they do trigger my migraines.
I used to have plain scrambled eggs everyday. Now, I vary how I cook them. There are tons of different ways to eat them but I will share with you my top three.
1) Eggs a la coque. My mother used to give them to me in a cute little pink egg holder. I use to love them as a kid and I still do until this day. Carefully drop the eggs with a spoon in boiling water for 3 minutes. If the egg is cold add an extra minute. Normally, they are served with bread, but I have them with asparagus or any other veggie.
2) Sunny side up. I use a teflon pan and spray a little PAM. Always works.
3) Fritattas. Sometimes I eat them plain with some herbs and other days I throw in some veggies. Here you can find my recipe for baked zucchini mint frittatas.
What is you favorite?
I hadn`t seen my grandparents for eight years. I live far away and it is very complicated to see them often. So three years ago I decided to book a flight and make a surprise appearance in Greece to visit them.
The only person who knew was my aunt Irini. She picked me up at the airport at midnight and we went straight home. When we arrived to my grandparents house everything was quiet because they were sleeping. So my aunt woke my grandfather gently and said she had a surprise for him. Both my grandparents woke up and went to the living room where I was waiting,excited.
Their first reaction was absolute silence. I knew, from my grandfather`s expression, that he thought he was still dreaming. He gently approached me and touched my face. We both started to cry.
I will never forget this trip.I spent two weeks with my grandparents and I am truly thankful for those days together. That was the last time I saw my grandfather, he passed away eight months later.
I want to share my favorite things that happened in that Easter trip to Greece because it was my first Easter there and one trip I will never forget.
1) One of the traditions on Greek Easter is to paint boiled eggs red. You have to hold your egg then you tap the end against the end of your opponent’s egg, trying to crack it. It is called «tsougrisma» and it always ends in laughter.
2) I feel in love with this giant mug to grow flowers in.(Isn`t the Easter bunny lovely?)3) Spring flowers. I couldn`t stop taking pictures of flowers everywhere. 4) The «Lefko Pirgo» at sunset. This was spectacular. 5) I discovered chocolate euros. 6) Tangerine tree downtown.7) Had the best «Giro» in town.8) Found baked Lays in Greek. 9) My beautiful grandmother`s flowers.10) I had strawberries every single day. 11) This happened. I rarely eat fried food but I made an exception.12) Here with my papu Kiriakos. This was our last picture together. I will treasure it for the rest of my life.