When I was a little girl I remember feeling a little ashamed of my Greek second last name «Frangopoulou». You have no idea how many nicknames I got thanks to that.
Today is a whole different story. I love being half Greek and half Italian. It makes me feel special. Thanks to my mom I learned how to speak fluent Greek and I love going to Greece and understanding everything.
Here six things I love about being Greek:
1) The food is spectacular. I love Greek salad and feta cheese is my favorite cheese of all time. Not to mention my mom’s «moussaka» and her amazing easter «chureki».
2) My mom and I speak Greek when we want to say something private so no one will understand. It’s a plus when we do it with a little giggle.
3) I spend most of my Summers in Greece and I have to tell you: make this trip one of your lifetime’s bucket list, you won’t regret it.
4) You get to be a smart-ass when you hear a word that has a Greek root. Remember the movie «My big fat greek wedding»? Remember the bride’s father, how he used to tell people that every-single-word had a Greek root? Well, that’s me most of the time.
5) I just love the smell of Greek coffee.
6) I have a tatoo on my left wrist that says «Pistevo» that means «I believe»
I have to thank Andreas Dermitzakis for this lovely article in the Greek newspaper!
Here my tatoo
2 comentarios en “Proud of my roots: 6 things I love about being 1/2 Greek”
Love the food, love visiting there when did years ago, and love your SOH. As far as the name – I went to school with a young man named, Peter Fuchenphold. Now that’s a problem
Hahaha Oh I can see that was a problem. I am so happy to hear that you liked the food! It’s good right? I miss it so much. Just came back from reading your blog and it’s really fun!! xoxo 🙂