Photo credit: DeliciouslyOrganized
Don’t we all wish to have a big walking closet where all our wardrobe’s pieces would lay there like a fancy and glamorous store? Off course we do. Unfortunately most of us don’t have the space and end up asphyxiating our clothes one on top of the other or one next to the other if we are lucky.
I usually follow this guide that I hope will help you out:
1) Choose a day when you know you will have time to take everything out from your closet. (When I say everything, I mean it.) You will be able to have a perspective of everything you own in your closet.
2) Clean the space. I like to use a natural cleaning spray that is a mix of water, vinegar and a little baking soda to clean everything from top to bottom.
3) I am terrified of moths. These little fellows have a passion for eating my lovely shirts and I refuse for my clothes to smell like naphthalene. I bought some essential oils that are natural moth repellents and make your closet smell amazing. (Mix in a small bowl the next essential oils: lavender, spearmint, cedar wood and cinnamon. Pour in a spray bottle and spray where you cleaned before. Let rest until dry.)
4) Now it’s time to move to your clothes. I usually have two boxes. I label my boxes with «donate» and «maybe». Then I start dividing my clothes in piles depending if they are skirts, dresses, pants, shorts, bathing suits, shoes, etc. I also divide my eyewear, jewelry, scarves, hats, belts, everything.
5) I start by returning to their original place all things I wish to keep and start putting in one of the boxes all the things I wish to donate. The pieces that I am having second thoughts with, I put them in the «maybe» box.
6) When you put the things you are going to keep back in the closet, divide them by type. Dresses go with dresses, pants with pants, etc. I like to organize my clothes by color because it is easier to find things when I am in a hurry. (Yes, I am that kind of girl.)
6) When I am done organizing the things I want to keep and the things I want to donate, I go to the «maybe» box and start trying everything on. Clothes that are not flattering or I haven’t worn in a really long time go to the «donate» box and the things that I like go back to the closet. (It’s ok to have pieces that have a sentimental value to you, but please don’t become hoarders. The point here is to make some space and get rid of things you don’t use anymore.)
There you go! Now you know everything that’s in there and you probably have more space.