School: this word brings nostalgia, joy and some dreadful memories. I had a love/hate relationship with school. I enjoyed seeing my friends everyday and had fun learning new things in several classes. I also had some teachers I enjoyed seeing and loved what they used to teach me but there were also many other ones that I could not stand.
I learned tons of things in school regarding basic education, some teachers tought me valuable lessons, others taught me things that were a terrible waste of time.
That being said, I have six things that stuck with me from school in my everyday life that I will treasure forever.
1) You take a test, you get all the answers right, you get an A+. If in the test you don´t know all the answers, rule is you get a lower grade. In life it´s ok not to know all the answers. Most of the time you won`t and that is all right. You just have to be open in recognizing what went wrong and work towards making it right.
2) Some establishments have rules and they are there for a reason.I remember one of the rules at my school was to always have your shirt tucked inside your pants. I found this incredibly stupid but I followed it because it was a rule. The point is you don´t have to follow every rule ever written in life but you don´t have to be rude either. If there is a smoking sign and is prohibited to smoke in a specific area, please understand that as rebel as you may be, it´s comon sense not to smoke there.
3) Teachers are human beings, they don´t always know all the answers and they too, as you and me, make mistakes. Same goes for the rest of the world. Often behind a rude behavior there is always something going on behind that person (or they are just a**holes, but that is a total different story). Don´t judge.
4) Be polite to everybody; from the janitor to the principal. Be thankful even when you don´t feel like it, chances are the other person will often appreciate such behavior. Why spend energy on being disrespectful or mean when being nice takes less time and effort?
5) Just because you are bad at something doesn´t mean that you are a failure. In my school if you were bad at math, chemistry or physics then you were considered a terrible student. What about literature? What about art or history or even biology? Everybody is different and has different skills. There is a fantastic quote from Albert Einstein that says «Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life thinking it is stupid».
6) You never, ever stop learning.